Poetic Devices For Class 12th
We are sharing information about Poetic Devices for class 12th English poems to help the students learn more about figures of speech used in the chapters and poems they read in their courses to get the aesthetic sense of the literary text.
We are sharing poetic devices along with many examples to clear away the mist regarding the topic of Poetic Devices. This will help you get a better understanding of the lessons and poems.
What Are The Poetic Devices?
Poetic devices are used to embellish a piece of a literary text. it is one of the forms of literary devices used in poems to enhance the piece structure. it is used by authors and poets to bring life to poetry.
Watch Video on Poetic Devices/ figures of speech on our channel EDUGOGUE.
1. Simile- It is used to compare one thing to others that are somewhat similar.
- He fought like a king.
- This world is like a rattrap.
- Her face ashen like that of a corpse.
2. Metaphor- A word or phrase that is used to compare two different things which are alike in nature.
- Life is a big roller-coaster ride.
- Garbage to them is gold.
- He is the big fish who must be trapped.
3. Alliteration is used to repeat consonant sounds, and the words are placed adjacent to each other.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- He saw a spider and the snake on the shelf.
- Some say the world end in fire.
4. Repetition- The words are repeated to lay emphasis on the said lines.
- Break o break open till they break the town.
- All she did was smile, smile, and smile.
- I feel happy to see happy people make others happy.
5. Personification- This is used to give human feelings to inanimate objects or any abstract ideas.
- Let the flood clap their hands.
- I kissed the hand of death.
- Necessity knows no law.
- Rain On The Roof Summary Class 9 English Beehive Explanation
- Letter Writing Format Class 12th
- Note Making Class 12th
- Notice Writing Format Class 9th English
- Poster Making Format Class 12th
6. Pun- the pun can use multiple meanings; it is a play on words in which a humorous effect is produced by using a word that suggests two or more similar meanings.
- A horse is a very stable animal.
- An elephant’s opinion carries a lot of weight.
- I am a mender of bad soles.
7. Paradox- one thing is opposite to another in a sentence in an absurd manner.
- War is peace, freedom is slavery
- I know one thing, I know nothing.
- A child is the father of the man
8. Oxymoron- The words are opposite to each other and are placed adjacent to each other, seems absurd while reading. It is the conjoining of the two contradictory words.
- Have you ever seen a wise owl?
- Close secret
- deafening silence
9. Irony- in this poetic device, one thing is said when the opposite is meant.
- It was an intelligent donkey.
- A pilot has a fear of flying.
- The police station gets robbed.
10. Hyperbole- It is an exaggeration that adds a bit of humor to a literary text.
- I am dying of shame.
- My grandmother is as old as the hills.
- The burglar runs as fast as lighting.
11. Epithet- it is used as an adjective or phrase given to a person to enhance one’s quality.
He was called Evans the break.
- They were hard-earning people.
- He called the white-haired director.
12. Apostrophe is used in the literary text to call out a dead or absent person from the scene.
- Oh, God! Where are you staying?
- Death, be not proud.
- Well, Mr. Terror, What do you think you can do for me?
- Merry Children were spilling out of their homes.
- Trees were sprinting at an incredible speed.
14. Refrain- it is used to repeat lines at regular intervals in the poem, especially at the end of the poem.
- Miles to go before I sleep.
- Men may come, and men may go, but I go on forever.
15. Metonymy- it is used to substitute one term for another.
- I am reading Chetan Bhagat these days. ( talking about the book)
- They were listening to Lata Mangeshkar. ( Songs)
We have shared an article about Poetic devices for class 12th students to help them clear away their topic from the examination point of view. We also shared information about all the essential poetic devices and examples.